Founded in the 1860’s Saint Alphonsus Parish’s earliest beginnings saw Mass originally held in private homes beginning about 1860. Around 1878, the present site of St. Alphonsus Church, then occupied by a store building and residence, was purchased. The store was used for services until the building could be moved to another location. The church was dedicated on September 26, 1883, but it was destroyed by a fire on February 15, 1923. An engineering study found that the old walls and foundations were safe and work began to rebuild the church in a similar style to the original. The current church was dedicated on June 14, 1925.